Thursday, October 9, 2008

Taking a Deep Breath

Feeling stressed out seems to be a way of life lately, so when my friend Jo pointed out that the weather has been beautiful and we should go for a ride in her plane, I agreed. By departure time, Dave had decided he wasn't going to be left behind. He grabbed the camera and joined us. That's why I get to share this refreshing picture with you. Dave took this photo as we flew over the mountains behind La Conchita. Three Starlight mice to Jo for reminding us it's really great to be living in this beautiful place.

Peanut Butter Cookies
Now back on the ground, we're thinking about next week's baking. I will make more peanut butter cookies, so get your order in if you are out of them.

For those of you who haven't tried them, you can bake all twelve at once or just a few at a time. These were baked in my toaster oven set to 375 degrees. A quick easy dessert sure to impress anyone who stops by for coffee or tea.

Ingredients: Organic unbleached flour, butter, egg, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, peanut butter.

Zucchini Bread Winner
Our winner last week was my friend Kathy... of rosemary mouse fame. Kathy and I have been friends since 2nd grade. Neither of us really wants to believe how many years that is.

And speaking of Starlight mice... a couple of them have made it all the way to Belgium! Who knows where they'll turn up next. I think some are already on their way to Hawaii.

Chocolate Tasting
In addition to the three challah mice for Jo, I'll give the winner of this week's poll three challah mice. I just have to figure out what question to ask in the poll. I'm running off to help with an election mailing so you'll have to check back for the poll question later tonight.

Hmm, a woman who worked on the mailing with me is a nurse. As our conversation turned to chocolate, she told us that she often prescribes chocolate to relieve stress. That explains why the chocolate tasting we had after the first debate was such a success.

This week when my neighbor Barbara joined us to watch the debate, she demanded chocolate before it was even over... I think she already knows about the stress reduction thing. So, that leads us to this week's poll question. Email me if you submit an answer so I can add you to the drawing. I'll put some really excellent chocolate hearts inside those three challah mice.

Breads of the Week

This week it's Rosemary Focaccia and a new bread requested by my friend Barbie. We'll bake a Rustic Wheat Raisin Bread with Walnuts. Rustic means that it has some wild yeast (sourdough) starter in it.

Rosemary Focaccia Ingredients: Organic flour, yeast, water, olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.

Rustic Wheat Raisin Bread Ingredients: Organic unbleached bread flour, whole wheat flour, wild yeast starter, yeast, salt, canola oil, agave syrup, raisins, walnuts, cinnamon.

Prices on this Week's Items
  • Rustic Wheat Raisin Bread with Walnuts - $5.00
  • Rosemary Focaccia- $6.00
  • Unbaked Peanut Butter Cookies (12) - $8.00
  • Baked Peanut Butter Cookies (4) - $3.00
Tuesday Pickup
You can pick up your orders from the our kitchen at Crumbs 5392 Hollister on Tuesdays from noon to 6 pm. We also offer Tuesday morning delivery to your place of work if that is more convenient. Feel free to stop by for a visit on Tuesday afternoons.

Thanks,
Nancy and Dave Oster, Starlight Bakers

1 comment:

MissM said...

Nice to see that Dad gets to use the camera sometimes. Great arial photo!